Meteorology Computing Topics and Applications
Remote Access Using wxsession.db.erau.edu
Do you want to run ERAU Linux applications from home, or anywhere else with an Internet connection?
Using a Secure Shell Client (like MobaXTerm), students, faculty, and staff, can connect to wxsession.db.erau.edu and run applications like Python, IDV, McIDAS-V, MPI, and GEMPAK.
wxsession uses ERNIE usernames and passwords. To create an ERAU Linux account, follow these instructions.
Using MobaXTerm and SSH
A Note for Mac Users
Mac users will need to install XQuartz to run grahpical applications remotely through Mac OS's built in terminal.
- Go to https://www.xquartz.org and download the XQuartz dmg.
- If prompted to allow downloads, click Allow.
- Go to Downloads and open the dmg file.
- Open the XQuartz.pkg file inside the dmg file.
- When the installer opens...
- Press Continue to start the installation.
- Press Continue to skip the Read Me.
- Press Continue to skip the License Agreement.
- Press Agree to agree to the License Agreement we didn’t bother reading.
- Press Install to start the installation more.
- If prompted to allow the Installer access control to System Events, press OK.
- You will need to log out and back in before XQuartz will work. You may or may not get a notification telling you... This can wait until you’re done using your computer, you do not need to log out immediately.
- The installation is now complete, and you may close the installer by pressing Close.
- If prompted to move the XQuartz Installer to the Trash, that’s your call. You may have to allow the installer access to your Downloads folder for this to work.